Online User Experience
Like you, the Viewpoint Digital Media team local to Geelong have been spending more and more time online lately and we’ve made some important observations we wanted to share in regards to the importance of providing a quality online user experience (UX) for your website visitors.
We, as consumers, have an attention span of around 5 seconds when we look for something online. As such, businesses who offer a great online user experience will be the businesses consumers engage with and spend our hard earned cash with!
Customer experiences and customer service has always been a focus for local Geelong, Surf Coast and Bellarine Peninsula businesses who deal with face to face customers, but as more and more online businesses open up – and existing businesses transition to doing more online – it’s the online user experience we need to focus our attention on.
What does online user experience mean exactly?
‘User experience’ also known as ‘UX’ refers to the overall experience a person has while using a website in terms of how easy and/or pleasing it is to use.
Ultimately as consumers we have one thing on our mind in relation to making a purchase – we have a problem that needs to be solved. The onus is then on the online business owner to provide the solution to that problem and make it easy to obtain.
5 tips to improve your online user experience
- Keep your online content up-to-date.
- Not only your product stock levels – your overall communication needs to be up to date.
- Your last social post should be recent – post regularly (schedule it in so you don’t forget).
- Your landing page should be current – don’t leave out of date messages about last season or last month on there. Remove or update offers that have expiry dates that may have past. This also includes notifications around when a product will be available.
2. Don’t have missing content
- If you launched your website with the intention of adding to it in the future – follow through. Don’t leave an empty page with “Coming soon” messaging. Complete your content as soon as possible otherwise your site will look unfinished. *This is something our Geelong Digital Marketing team can help with!
3. Make navigation easy
- No one likes a mystery when it comes to a website – Just lay things out clearly.
- Use your page menus and language/terminology your customers will relate to.
- Use internal links so if a customer is reading about one of your products there is a link right there for them to order it.
4. Show how to order
- Keep it short and simple.
- If you can’t avoid a lengthy or slightly complicated process, provide your customers with a “How To” map. Give them a path or image to refer to, or create a short video to show them how to order.
- Include a Frequently Asked Questions page on your website. This acts to reassure your customers and answer any questions they may need answered before they are comfortable in placing an order.
5. Follow up
- Communication is key.
- Confirm the order has been received. Confirm the order has been shipped. Thank the customer for their order. Encourage the customer to provide a review.
As these local Geelong, Surf Coast and Bellarine Peninsula businesses use online platforms, there is a lot we can do to influence people to buy our products and services online.
All the hard work you have put in to get the user to your site, now is where it tends to culminate with a visit to your website where an actual transaction needs to take place. So, don’t waste all that hard work – give you customers a great online user experience and they’ll keep coming back again and again.
If you need some help with managing your social pages or your website content or if you need to change up the way your website actually works, get in touch with our digital marketing team located in Ocean Grove and we’ll steer you in the right direction.
Contact our team at Viewpoint Digital Media on 0432 049 330 or online here